Friday 1 March 2013

D-Day + 1

First proper day in Qatar. Because I was arriving so late, and had no idea how long it would take me to get through customs, Cath and I decided it would be easier to wait until this morning to meet-up. How ever good Skype is it cannot replace the touch and feel of the real person; what a blessed relief to finally be here! It really is great to be here after what seems like such a drawn-out process but was in truth only about four months and, given the time I know some people have waited, I realise I have been extremely fortunate in getting here so easily.

The apartment is everything I thought it would be but with knobs on. Very well appointed with all the modern conveniences, a lovely sized sitting/dining room, large kitchen, two bedrooms and three bathrooms. My new employers have certainly not scrimped on the accommodation and the 'welcome pack', that included all manner of food, drinks and household products, was very welcomed.

View from the apartment window.
The sea is just the other side of the tall buildings.

Cath and I have just returned from a four hour shopping trip to the City Centre Mall. It is about ten minutes walk away and is HUGE with every kind of shopping experience available. First off coffee and a cake to give us some energy before sorting passport photos (sixteen with approved blue background and NO smile), buy Pay-As-You-Go sim card for phone (a requirement for work), some better sandels and a new toothbrush.

So after all that tiring work we're now back at home. I've made a pot of tea with biscuits and so now we will put out feet up for an hour prior to catching a taxi over to Cath's place for our evening meal - Thai take-away form a little place that gets very good recommendations. Cath didn't bring the car as she wasn't sure what the parking arrangements might be (I have now been given a transponder to access our own private parking space). Later this evening she has threatened me with a drive out in Cedric, our new car - named after I know not what, to see the site of the hospital where I will eventually be working and Cath's school (which is strangely only a few hundred yards away).

That's it for day one and too much excitement for a boy is not good so I will no doubt sleep well tonight!

Onwards..........

No comments:

Post a Comment