Friday 8 March 2013

Al Wakra sunburn

Went to Al Wakra about 20mins. south of Doha as it has a very large open access beach. The vast open aspect was very popular, even on a Friday morning, and allowed us to dip our toes in the warm Arabian Gulf. Sadly with Qatar being so flat the water was very shallow, even fifty metres out, so I didn't get to try the snorkel kit.

"Charge that solar panel Baby!"
Due to still having two apartments we'd left the suncream at the other one, but the sun didn't seem so intense and the strong on-shore breeze certainly appeared to cool things down. So we decided that 20mins. would be OK for pale featured, pasty skinned, old me - er No! Should have made that 10mins. and not followed it with a 20min. walk around the lovely Marah Land (one of Qatars best parks).

In the surprisingly lush Marah Land gardens
It was a great morning out but now I am suffering slightly and feel like a par boiled lobster. That will teach me! Hopefully my skin will toughen up over the next few weeks but I will definitely need to have a few more bottles of SPF30 handy.
 
We're off out tonight to meet some of Cath's work colleagues for a meal in Souq Wakif, ye olde part of Doha. It has the look and feel of an old Arabic market place but is in fact a fairly recent reconstruction. There are plenty of places to eat there and a rabbit warren of shops and stalls but without any of the usual market place hassle; you get asked to come in and see what the shops have to offer but not the constant "I make you good price!" type stuff.  
 
Onwards and upwards.........
   

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha !!!! I have finally checked out your blog.
    That is a gorgeous photo of you and Cath.
    I must say it is awesome to see that smile on her face :-)

    ReplyDelete