Thursday 23 May 2013

Bit remiss of me.......

Can't believe it's been so long since I last wrote here. I'm struggling to remember what I did yesterday let alone over the last two weeks. So in no particular order:
  • Went night fishing at a very swanky waterfront area called The Pearl - all Armani, Ferrari and Sunseekers. Not entirely sure that we were allowed to fish there, but no sign was in evidence to the contrary so off we went. The guy I went with, Tom, had been before and regaled me with tales of the one that got away and dark shapes looming beneath smaller fish he had previously reeled in. So I had a certain amount of lure envy when he pulled out a lurid orange and yellow thing about six inches long - mine was only about an inch and a half! With his first cast he was straight into a thrashing mad thing that gave his cheap'n'cheerful supermarket rod a right work-out. We eventually managed to hand haul it up onto the quayside and it was a fish that I had caught previously called a Shaari. It's like a freshwater Perch, covering in spiny fins and with sharp looking teeth. I was really surprised to see such a large fish come out of what looked like a small canal. We let that one go and went in search of his brothers and sisters. We each caught one more about the same size and then Tom got into something much bigger that fairly ripped the line off the reel as it shot off. With such a small rod he didn't have much chance of stopping it and after about thirty metres or so it snapped him off. As is so often the case we would have loved to have seen what it was, but then that's fishin'.
  •     After a few beers on a Thursday after work got dragged to a beach party. Didn't have a clue who/what/where but thought "What the Hell!". Was surprised to find that it was hosted by one of the DJs that my son like, Paul van Dyck. We got there about ten thirty and the main man was supposed to come on at eleven. By twelve, and still no superstar DJ, decided to call it a day. Just as I was leaving he came onto the stage in a cloud of dry ice and appeared just long enough for me to be able to say "I've seen Paul van Dyck".
  • My three month probation period is now over and you'll be please and/or surprised to know that they wanted to keep me. The official day is 28th May but all the paperwork has been signed and sent to HR so I'm as good as in. Will buy a fancy cake - if I remember, all this sun has addled my brian (sic).
  • Can you believe it that Cath and I went for a workout at the gym together this morning. I only went to 'show willing' but she used her teacherly ways on me to keep going. She introduced me to some strange positions that her personal trainer had shown her so I suspect I won't be able to walk tomorrow. As is often the case, with lazy sods like me anyway, I was glad that I made the effort and hope to get down there more regularly.
  • The new apartment is taking shape and becoming more homely. We now have a lady who comes in weekly to clean the ankle  deep thilth we wallow in - I don't know how we coped before. Even though we are relatively far away from the waterfront (fifteen minutes as opposed to three hours in Derby) I'm glad we moved here as the environment is much less urban and extremely quiet.
  • Also, finally, bought a car - a 2005 Mitsubushi Nativa. Well worth the wait and, as is so often the case, bought from a neighbour rather than the far flung districts I have previously travelled to. Just need to transfer the registration tomorrow and then I've got wheels
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment