Saturday 6 April 2013

Give me a break....

Another packed weekend:

Thursday 4 April
Had an invite from Simon and Amany to join them for their bi-monthly soiree spotif. After getting slightly lost we eventually found their compound and had a great evening with a couple of their work colleagues, playing darts and table football. Much to my surprise Cath really seemed to enjoy the table football but has forbidden me from getting one - "Doh!". Had quite a few cans of Guinness so Cath was the designated driver and we got back about 23:30. Had a text this afternoon confirming that it will now be a regular event everyother Thursday so that is now pencilled in.

Friday 5 April
Got up early and went to the gym. Later, at about 10:00, we took 'the tank' on a road-trip 100km to the north of Doha to visit Al-Zubarah Fort. I was quite surprised at the uniformity of the desert landscape and how flat the country is. From the slightly elevated highway you can see for long distances either side and it is VERY flat. Anyway, we got to the fort about 12:00 and it was roastingly hot (35C+) and not a breath of wind. Sadly the fort, which looks very old but was actually build in the 40's, was undergoing internal repairs, and although we could look around inside we couldn't venture up any of the four corner towers. A very helpful South African women offered to take our picture and spent quite a deal of time arranging the shots; but unfortunately I don't think she pushed the button completely down and you'll have to make do with these:


Arty
Touristy
 
That evening we had been invited to a 'villa' warming party by one of my Sidra colleagues, Marie (Mal) and her husband Tom. Again, even with a very detailed map drawn by Tom, we got slightly lost in the less built-up areas in the suburbs of Doha. Eventually we got there and had a smashing time; meeting lots of new people as well as lots of Sidra folk. As we don't yet have our 'booze licence' I (with Cath yet again volunteering to drive) had to prevail on our very generous hosts for the liquid refreshments, and very generous they were too with food, drink and a tour around their lovely two bed roomed villa. We had a really great time but I think after my five weeks of abstinence from cakes and pies my system wasn't ready for the three pints of bitter, a pint of vodka based punch,  two samosas, Scouse stew, three puddings (trifle x2, cheesecake) and small Egyptian cake, and the following morning I really paid for it!

Saturday 6 April
Oh! My! God! - did I feel rough? "It must have been those dodgy samosas!" says me, "Er, No! It was the three pints of bitter, a pint of vodka based punch, two samosas, Scouse stew, three puddings (trifle x2, cheesecake) and small Egyptian cake!" says Cath offering as little sympathy as I deserved. Even my son told me I was getting too old for these sorts of antics and I should act my age; which at the moment, due to the rejuvenative effect of moving to Doha, seems to be about twenty-five so God help me!

I then remembered that I had arranged to go and look at a car I was thinking of buying. As we already have a 4x4 'tank' I thought I'd go for something a bit more boy-ish and get a utility vehicle - half five seater saloon, half pick-up truck. So not feeling 100% I eventually met the guy and bought the truck - 2009 Mazda BT-50 18,000km QR36000 (about £6,500). Looks, drives and sounds OK so hopefully it will get me mobile without too much grief. It will no doubt feature here again hopefully for the right reasons.

After all this we went to a combination craft fair/car boot sale/market in a very nice park next to the Museum of Islamic Art. By this time the wind had really picked-up and it must have scared off some of the stall holders as there were quite a few vacant spaces. It was, however, a pleasant way to walk off a hangover as we also went to a lovely cafe, out at the end of the promontory, and saw a brilliant exhibition at the MOI about revitalising artistic traditions in Afghanistan called Ferozkoh - if you get a chance do go and see it!

Boyd & Cath inside Richard Serra's
sculpture '7'
 

No comments:

Post a Comment